Tuesday 13 September 2011

Affordances in Monopoly deal: 2/6


Affordance:
Hagedorn (2000, p.51) describes affordance to be "anything which the environment can offer the individual which is pertinent to the role challenge and can facilitate role competence".  
According to Christiansen & Townsend (2004, p. 22) "affordances are environmental properties that both induce and supported goal-directed behaviour". "Affords do not have to be visible, known or even desirable to affect behaviour".

Communication/Connect:
Whilst playing a game of monoploy deal with Sammi* I care about her as I want her to be able to successfully attend to her money and know how much she has a needs to be giving me. I am very responsive to Sammi* and her needs during the game, I am always thinking of how I will play my cards to her advantage but still wanting to challenge her at the same time. I show complete respect towards Sammi* during the game as I know she has difficulty when it comes the adding up money, I will never push her and respect her when she asks for help to add money. The primary relationship is I am the teacher and she is the student. But if she has any tips for me I am always willing to listen. There is no limitation to the capacity of expression of individuality. For my well-being it is important to me as games are a way for me to relax and have fun.
I have already sacrificed my time and spending time with others to play this game with Sammi* and teach her new skills whilst playing. Continuing this activity will be sacrificing more of my time. I will often let Sammi* win to let her have a feeling of accomplishment. There are both verbal and nonverbal communications occurring during the game, also body language is displayed e.g. a smile for a good card. Monopoly deal is always played with someone else or in a group it is not an individual game which is something I like as I enjoy interacting with others.
 
References:
Christiansen, C. H. & Townsend E. A. (2004). An introduction to occupation: The art and science of  living. New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.

Hagedorn, R. (2000). Tools for practice in occupational therapy. A structured approach to core skills and processes. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.




No comments:

Post a Comment