Sunday 25 September 2011

Ergonomics: 3/6

Ergonomics can be described by the "ability to constantly make slight invisible adjustments to an activity to adapt to the needs of those taking part and ensure that it continues to work for its purpose" (Caulton and Dickson, 2007).
Hagedorn (2000) states that the principles of ergonomics are based on the concept of 'fitting the task to the man'. 
I understand ergonomics to be the changing of a task to ensure the person is able to perform what is required in the task to their full potential.
In relation the ergonomics and my experience of playing monopoly deal I have had to make various ergonomic changes to the games to suit each different person that I play with.
We were sitting in the lounge playing monopoly deal but a few members of my family were around, this made Sammi* feel uncomfortable and was making it hard for us to concentrate on the game. I decided to change the environment for Sammi* to make the game easier by taking her to a quieter part of the house where she was able to concentrate and allow us to interact without distraction. Instead of telling Sammi* to concentrate with the noise around her I adapted the environment, allowing her perform the game to her full potential. The new room bright as the sun was pouring in, making it hard to see the cards we were playing with, I got up and pulled the curtain to block out most of the sun, I sat back down to play now able to see our cards easily. 
Another ergonomic factor that I take into account when playing monopoly is that everyone learns at different paces. Each time I teach someone how to play I need consider the skill level of the person so I adapt to how I teach everyone in a different way. When teaching  people I work with intellectual disabilities I adapt the way I teach them compared to how I would teach one of my family members that understand without difficulty.  

References:


Caulton, R & Dickson, R. (2007). Whats going on? Finding an explanation for what we do. In J. Creek & A. Lawson-Porter (Eds.), Contemporary issues in occupational therapy (pp. 87-114). Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.


Hagedorn, R. (2000). Tools of practice in occupational therapy. A structured approach to core skills and processes. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.



1 comment:

  1. You provided a really good example of ergonomics in this blog Hayley! The way you were able to adjust the environment to fit better with both the person and occupation demonstrate the o.t inside of you

    ReplyDelete